Pages

Tuesday 3 December 2013

American hospitals... you had one job!

So today I experienced one of the worst pains of my life, no, it wasn't my fractured foot... It was the american hospital system!
I'll go from the start, basically on my way to lunch while messing around with my roommate I tried to jump down a flight of stairs... Well I succeeded, I just didn't land it all that well. But even when I landed it didn't feel that bad, a little painful but I thought I could walk it off... turns out breaking your foot is actually kind of painful! So for the next hourish i'm lying of the sofa in pain, I do get taken to the doctor though, to see if it's sprained or something. Well we wait for about 40 minutes before being told that I should probably get an X-ray and i'll have to go to a different hospital. Great, thanks for the expert opinion there. So I go to the bigger hospital, this one had a gift shop mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if they said "thank you for your custom, come again" after I leave. Yet again I have another 40 minute wait (bearing in mind that i'm still in pretty bad pain right now) eventually I get called and I think
"great, I finally get my X-ray"
Wishful thinking. I had to register first of course, because it doesn't matter if someone's in pain, you have to make sure they can pay you before you help them. Well done america, you're really hitting the jackpot here with helping people! So after I confirmed my name and that I am in fact, younger than 25 through gritted teeth I was taken to another waiting area. There was a boy there, about 9, with his mum. A man came out and made some joke referencing Eminem, the boy didn't laugh obviously, I mean the joke was awful; but I appreciated that he actually cared and it restored some of my faith in the american medical system... briefly. Because just then my X-Ray doctor came and grunted a few words that sounded like "follow me" and I did, well followed is a bit of an overstatement, I hobbled behind him. 3 hours later and my foot was propped up on 4 pillows with The Velvet Underground playing to null my boredom. I went back the next day and found out that I had broken my 5th metatarsal... Basically my bone had wanted to go one way while the muscle pulled it another, just my luck! I got a cast and some strong drugs for the pain and was sent packing.
I'm not going to lie breaking your foot gets really really boring after a while, for the first few days I couldn't leave my room for very much, it was too painful to be up and about too much. But after that when I could leave my room it got worse, I couldn't go down to lower campus because, as you'd know if anyone's tried to go up or down stairs on crutches it's kind of difficult to do all the time! So for the last couple of weeks i've been hobbling around trying to do everything as normal... and failing.
Well that's my account of my brush in with the american medical system... I wouldn't advise taking it on, you will lose.
The next two weeks I have end of semester finals and then I'm going back for christmas! I can't wait to see everyone at home and spend christmas with my family... Although it will be sad to leave everyone for three and a half weeks!

2 comments:

  1. ajio app download Fashion Store for Men and Women. Use APPFIRST25 to get 25% OFF on your 1st app order Handpicked products Free Shipping and COD download ajio app now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk with Norton experts and clear your all doubts and learn the whole procedure of renewing Norton antivirus software.Norton customer support

    ReplyDelete