Pages

Monday 2 September 2013

The 5 Ds of dodgeball

America, the land of freedom, opportunities... and as it happens, disappointments. Today I was pretty excited; not because I got a postcard from my brother, not because I picked my out of school activities... no, today I played dodgeball for the first time. Imagine the film Dodgeball, it was nothing like that and there lies the start of my disappointment.

Firstly, I thought we'd watch the dodgeball video from the film, you know, to make sure everyone knows the rules. That didn't happen, how are you meant to play dodgeball if you don't know the 5 Ds; dodge, duck, dip, dive and... dodge. Don't expect funny costumes either, I was really excited to see all the americans out in the hilariously terrible kits. Didn't happen, but it was all set up like the typical dodgeball game i'd seen in the film. Now if you've seen the film you'd know they do special moves... don't even bother trying to do them, first time I played I was like; "well if vince vaughn can do it so can I", not true. I was hit almost before the whistle was blown, before I could even run without so much of a scream of "for frodo!" All in all though it's a really fun game, just don't go expecting to play ben stiller... or even hit someone.

The last few days have been a blur of stuff but so much fun, we went to the largest permanent camp in the world to get to know everyone basically, there were some good workshops; ultimate frisbee, gender circles etc. But the best part was playing a game I haven't played in ages called Kings, especially because I got to annoy every with my rules.

After we came back we had to pick our CASs or Creativity, Action, Service and our sport. I've decided I want to try and take technical theatre, HIV/AIDS peer education, model UN, restorative justice, football (we'd play in a league), swimming and also to work on the non regular stuff like in a youth detention centre every month, do castle tours every so often and to work in the campus store once a week. That, plus my lessons is essentially what I want to do for the next year. When I go into my second year i'll have to lead a CAS. For those who don't know what subjects i'm doing, i'll be taking English literature and language higher, Spanish ab initio (beginners), Social anthropology higher level, Chemistry standard level, Maths standard level and Theatre higher level.
I started classes today, after a slight problem with my timetable, that being that I had no idea what was going on, but it was a pretty good day! I'm so excited for the next 2 years and can't wait to get started on everything.

Sorry it wasn't the best post, i've been very busy with stuff, and, new mexico goes from blue sky to thunderstorms in seconds so I sometimes lose internet connection.

Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment