Pages

Tuesday 20 August 2013

The arrival

After 3 days of Colorado I find myself once again on a plane (which, by the way doesn't offer a free drink). At the airport i'm greeted by possibly the most excitable person ever, and an American style pizza; American style meaning it's larger than the plane I came on. At the college people are even more excited and start cheering and banging on the bus windows. My dorm is Kosciuszko or kozzy, and I share my room with a Chilean guy called Ramiro. After being totally overwhelmed by the welcome we got, the size of campus and the vastness of cultures, languages and backgrounds... we head to Walmart.

If you haven't been to Walmart it's basically a building the size of a small town, but instead of houses, shops and schools it's filled with rows and rows of stuff you never realised you needed until you stepped foot in Walmart. Imagine ikea but not just furniture; clothes, food, pharmaceutical stuff... there was even a subway! It should be an olympic event just to get all the way round it. Even with a shopping list it took us about an hour and a half to fill 2 bags each. One thing you have to remember is that america has 3 sizes when it comes to Walmart; big, bigger and how the hell do you get that home? I tried to buy a small tub of hair gel, I barely use it, it's for a just in case. I ended up buying a tub that could fit a small child in it, and that's the smallest they had... Then, the one time I wanted to bulk buy something (earl grey teabags of course) they had a box of 20 for about $7, America, if you're trying to annoy Brits then I salute you! After an exhausting hour and a half we finally head home on school busses that wouldn't be out of place in a war zone with the metal being done in a way that it looks like fortified armour trucks.

I've just unpacked, something that makes my move seem all the more real.. But i'm so excited, tomorrow is an introduction to all the academic side of the IB and by saturday i'll be going on my first wilderness trip in New Mexico! So i'll try to update this before I go and after to say how it was.

Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment