Pages

Thursday 15 August 2013

Why UWC?

I've said my goodbyes, left England, so this is happening then? It's a strange sensation, sitting in the waiting area of an airport; a model of a bird eating a snake in front of me.. a burger king and starbucks behind and 2 years of (hopefully) pure excitement/shock ahead of me. 

But here I am, oldish music coming from the speakers, waiting 2 hours for my next flight. So I decided to update this blog. The main question I get asked is how did I find out about this college... Well it's sort of a chain reaction, my brother found out off a family friend who was researching the group of colleges.  So that's how I found out, but not why I went. In fact, had you asked me in december if I wanted to go abroad to do the IB I would have said you must be bloody joking (I actually did at one point).

It's difficult to say what finally made me apply; but if I had to put it down to something it would have to be the excitement, the thrill that you get from being somewhere new, experiencing different cultures, learning about the way other people live and sharing my own experiences. I applied pretty late and it took quite a while to get all my answers under 1500 characters... It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to get an interview so I can remember exactly where I was. Funnily enough I was quite close to New Mexico then, on a school trip, we had stopped off in a little town on our way to our next hotel. It was red country, think breaking bad mixed with a few cowboys. Of course I still hadn't told anyone about me applying so I had no one to celebrate with at that point but I was so excited. 

The interviews were actually a lot more fun than expected; although it was a very tiring day it just made me all the more determined to get in. Nearly everyone in my interview group got in to a college, unfortunately none to mine. It was funny for me, the interviews, because I knew 3 people there, 2 of them being my best friends. But I got through the interviews without trouble and, when the yes came I was overjoyed. 

So yes, it's a very difficult process but in no way should that put anyone off, i'm sure this will be one of the greatest experiences of my life. Another reason why I applied was that you never know until you try, so give it a shot.

Bring it on america! 

Jake

1 comment:

  1. Have a great time :D loved the cheeky reference to us....at least i hope you meant us aha.
    Bet that bird enjoyed having to look at you.

    ReplyDelete